During Fespa 2018 in Berlin the European Digital Press Association (EDP) celebrated the winners of their 12th EDP Awards contest. Out of more than 120 entries in 2018 the EDP Technical Committee finally selected 29 products as EDP Award winners within eight main categories.
Every year, the European Digital Press Association (EDP) honours the best technological developments by giving away EDP Awards. The EDP Awards are an open contest for all products without any limitation or provenience. All new products and developments announced or presented within the last 12 months and available for testing by the EDP jury members were entitled to participate. The entries are selected according to criteria like achievement, quality and costs. The EDP Awards offer orientation and give a neutral recommendation for purchase decisions.
Since 2007 the EDP honoured the best products by awarding nearly 300 trophies. During the last 12 years the EDP Awards are said to be the most prestigious and valuable Technical Award for the digital production business in Europe. But it would be a misunderstanding that the EDP Awards only refer to Europe.
Interestingly, the EDP Association (European Digital Press Association) was founded in 2006 by six trade magazines with a mainly editorial focus on digital print processes. Today the EDP Association counts 21 member magazines all over Europe, covering 27 countries and reaching more than half a million readers in Europe.
Every year experts representing the 21 EDP member magazines on digital production evaluate the latest technological developments in several categories (software and hardware, large/wide format printing, commercial printing, print and finishing solutions, finishing and enhancement, consumables (inks and substrates) and special solutions). The best products in each category are honoured with an EDP Award.
With the end of EDP Award Ceremony – 2018, the next EDP Award contest 2019, the 13th edition, is now open for participation. All new products and developments which are announced, presented and available for testing by jury members from April 1st, 2018, till March 15th, 2019, and widely available in the member countries of EDP, are entitled to participate.
Some of the winners:
Large/Wide Format Printing:
- Best roll-to-roll printer up to 170 cm: Mimaki | UCJV300-160
- Best flatbed/hybrid printer up to 250 m²/h: swissQprint | Nyala LED
- Best flatbed/hybrid printer > 250 m²/h: Durst | P5 250 HS
- Best textile printer roll-to-roll > 100 m²/h: Agfa | Avinci DX3200
- Best textile printer on transfer paper: Aleph | LaForte Optima Paper340
- Best direct to garmet printer: Brother | GTX Commercial Printing
- Best cutsheet printer monochrome up to B3: Canon | Océ VarioPrint 6000 Titan
- Best color printer up to B3 > 200.000 A4/month: Ricoh | Pro C7200X series
- Best color printer up to B3 > 500.000 A4/month: Kodak | Nexfinity Digital Press
- Best label printer web: Screen | Truepress Jet L350UV+LM
Print and Finishing Solutions:
- Best label printing solution: ebeam, Uteco, INX | GAIA
- Best print and finishing solution: MGI Digital Technology | JETvarnish 3D Web Color+
- Best corrugated solution: Electronics For Imaging | EFI Nozomi C18000
- Best wallpaper solution: Veika | Dimensor
- Best textile solution: Konica Minolta | Nassenger SP-1
Finishing / Enhancement
- Best digital sheetfed cutting solution: Highcon Systems | Euclid IIIC
- Best digital wide format cutting solution: eurolaser | XL-3200
- Best finishing support tool: Zünd | Over Cutter Camera – OCC
- Best book on demand postpress solution: Tecnau | Libra 800
- Best webfed finishing solution: HP Indigo | HP Indigo GEM
- Best enhancement solution: Leonard Kurz | DM-Liner UV-Ink
Consumables (inks and substrates)
- Best special effect ink: HP Indigo | Silver Ink